Pages

Monday, June 16, 2014

Monday Dear Me

I'm linking up again with The Teaching Tribune. Today I wrote a letter to myself, like an advice to a new teacher from a new teacher. I'm thinking about printing out my letter and rereading it when I'm feeling overwhelmed and defeated throughout the year.


This is the day, instead of being 90 minutes away from my school I will now only be 25 minutes away. It's a little overwhelming to be moving but it also is exciting to do something more on my own. 

Besides that I have been working on planning out my first days. I will explicitly teach the rules and procedures but I also wanted to reinforce them through literature studies. I'm hoping that they will help to make the rules more "real" and give the students an opportunity to discuss and work with the rules. Since I start on a Monday it has been difficult for me to decide how many days I should use as my "first days" and when I should really get into the curriculum. I want to have time to start building a community but I also don't want to waste time and not get my curriculum done.

6 comments:

  1. Hello Alana - dropping in via the linky and wanting to wish you all the best as you begin life as a teacher - one of the greatest but hardest jobs on Planet Earth. I think your letter will certainly guide you over the coming year and it is a great idea to be able to communicate with others all over the world to gain valuable teaching tips, inspiration and a sounding board for your ideas as well as letting off steam when you have those frustrating moments too. Welcome to your new life as a teacher :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This would be a great letter to send to other new teachers….very honest and insightful. So glad you stopped by my blog so I had the opportunity to find you. Good luck with your first year…by the looks of your reflectiveness, you'll do great!
    SweetSchoolMoments

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats and good luck! You will be amazed at how much you learn from actually being in charge of your own classroom. It is a great feeling! I am starting my 4th year but a new grade level. Can't wait to see what you are able to accomplish with your little ones. :)

    Steph
    Simple Insights

    ReplyDelete